domain locking-- got lock?

Strata R. Chalup strata at virtual.net
Wed Dec 1 15:49:21 PST 2004

Apologies if this is old news to some of you-- apparently changed back
in July, with (http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm)
ICANN's new domain transfer policy, but I'm just hearing about it.

The previous policy allowed your registrar to request confirmation from
the domain holder before performing a transfer.  Now, apparently,
transfer requests *must* be honored unless the domain is "locked".    I
don't think there's been a rash of spurious transfers or domain hijacks
yet, but assuredly it will happen, especially when the spammers figure
out that hijacking an interesting domain or three could generate scads
of web hits.  To say nothing of the spamming possibilities.  Bleah.

If you, like me, tend to pay your registrar multiple years in advance
and not really interact with them much otherwise, you might want to
visit their website and check for a "lock domains" feature on their
domain management page, or send mail to their support folks.

cheers,
Strata

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
  ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **