domain locking-- got lock?

Wed Dec 1 18:32:39 PST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Strata R. Chalup wrote:
> > The previous policy allowed your registrar to request confirmation from the
> > domain holder before performing a transfer.  Now, apparently, transfer
> > requests *must* be honored unless the domain is "locked".    I don't think
> > there's been a rash of spurious transfers or domain hijacks yet, but
> > assuredly it will happen, especially when the spammers figure out that
> > hijacking an interesting domain or three could generate scads of web hits.
> > To say nothing of the spamming possibilities.  Bleah.
>
> Er... I'm afraid that you've jumped to conclusions here.

yes and no ...

- how you interpret the new ICANN rules will depend on your or
  the registrar's pov

- the new policy changes WILL ALLOW the registrar to transfer your
  domains WITHOUT your approval

	- nobody, but *you* will know:
	a) whether the registrar is sitting on the legit transfer request
	b) or if the "spoofer" is trying to steal your domain,
 	   expired or not

godaddy's interpretation:  ( per their warnings/notices )
------------------------

x> On November 12, 2004, ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned
x> Names and Numbers, put in place its new transfer policy for all
x> accredited domain name service providers.
x>
x> The previous ICANN policy allowed us to deny requests to transfer your
x> domain names to another registrar unless you explicitly confirmed to us
x> your intent to transfer. The new ICANN policy removes that protection.
x> When we receive a request to transfer your domain name to a new
x> registrar, we will still attempt to contact you to confirm that you
x> authorized the
x> request. However, if you do not respond, or are not able to respond
x> within 5 days, your domain name WILL be transferred.

> The purpose of the policy change is to prevent registrars from sitting
> on legitimate transfers against the wishes of their
> wanting-to-be-ex-customers; you still have to approve the initial

no.... not any mroe .. "if they cannot find you" ... they will can can
transfer it ....
	- the registrar will provide a "LOCK" so that they cannot do
	NOTHING without approval .. that is the whole point of the "lock"

c ya
alvin