Computer Room Environmental monitoring, Legal --> DNS question

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Aug 23 14:01:39 PDT 2004

>From: Tim Mitchell <trm at eskimo.com>
>Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
>To: baylisa at baylisa.org
>Subject: Computer Room Environmental monitoring, Legal --> DNS question
>Sender: owner-baylisa at baylisa.org

>	1) I am curious what Production/devices/tools you might use to
>monitor your computer rooms remotely to ensure the Air conditioning is
>keeping the temp to a reasonable  level and that the Utility electrical
>power has not yet failed over to UPS....

Well, I'd expect that any UPS worth deploying in that environment would
have some capability of reporting its status -- either as the situation
demands or (at least) in response to a (periodic) poll.

There are also small circuits that will report temperature; I don't
recall their names, but I expect someone (Hi, Chuck!) might....

>	2) I came across an ISP/Network Provider based in a different
>state which has an IP address block registered to a organization of the
>same name as my employer. My employer does not have an office in the
>city in question. An abuse issue was submitted to abuse@ myemployer with
>the IP address in question from someone who reasonably thought the
>two were connected. This issue is both abuse and also mis-use of corporate
>name in registration of the IP address block. Other than contacting the
>Legal department where I work any other suggestions are welcome.

Was the address also the same?

Regardless, I think getting the legal folks involved early on this would
be a good idea.  There are possible/plausible ramifications that could
get ugly, it seems to me.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Evidence of curmudgeonliness:  becoming irritated with the usage of the
word "speed" in contexts referring to quantification of network
performance, as opposed to "bandwidth" or "latency."