Computer Room Environmental monitoring, Legal --> DNS question

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Mon Aug 23 16:31:58 PDT 2004

Quoting David Wolfskill (david at catwhisker.org):
> >From: Tim Mitchell <trm at eskimo.com>
> >Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
> >To: baylisa at baylisa.org
> >Subject: Computer Room Environmental monitoring, Legal --> DNS question
> >Sender: owner-baylisa at baylisa.org
>
> >	1) I am curious what Production/devices/tools you might use to
> >monitor your computer rooms remotely to ensure the Air conditioning is
> >keeping the temp to a reasonable  level and that the Utility electrical
> >power has not yet failed over to UPS....
>
> Well, I'd expect that any UPS worth deploying in that environment would
> have some capability of reporting its status -- either as the situation
> demands or (at least) in response to a (periodic) poll.

And if said poll is via the Nagios box...

> There are also small circuits that will report temperature; I don't
> recall their names, but I expect someone (Hi, Chuck!) might....

Weather Duck has been highly recommended.  I also have used a serial
A/D with thermistors (weedtech.com) and I've got, at home, some
1-wire temp sensors (http://weather.snew.com/ tells you about my
roof, it's in play, so it will disappear).

My 1-wire issue is that I've not found Unix software I love for it.

I'm using OWW - off of Source Forge(t).  It's a GTK program and the
UI is the reader is the configurator is the --- ick.  And it's written
for Linux rather than to Posix standards.  I've got it on FreeBSD
and it's adequate.  Barely.  But the weather station includes counters
and A/D for wind speed and the like.

Sensing for WATER under the raised floor is always a really good idea.

> >	2) I came across an ISP/Network Provider based in a different
> >state which has an IP address block registered to a organization of the
> >same name as my employer. My employer does not have an office in the
> >city in question. An abuse issue was submitted to abuse@ myemployer with
> >the IP address in question from someone who reasonably thought the
> >two were connected. This issue is both abuse and also mis-use of corporate
> >name in registration of the IP address block. Other than contacting the
> >Legal department where I work any other suggestions are welcome.

> Was the address also the same?
>
> Regardless, I think getting the legal folks involved early on this would
> be a good idea.  There are possible/plausible ramifications that could
> get ugly, it seems to me.

Hmmm, rent a PO box in said town at a copy shop. Have them forward to you.
Write in with a address change on corp stationary.  Then reallocate the routing
for the block.  You might cover your ass on this first, but this appeals to me.

Or call the damn ISP on the phone.  (your company name isn't necessarily ONLY
yours in all states.  That 20+ year old "Amazon Bookstore" in Minn made that
point.  My folks at "Java Cafe" also got a cease and desist from Sun when
Java (the lang) was poised to run everything.  These folks still sell good
coffee, despite Sun)