What OS & mail client do -you- use?

John Martinez rolnif at mac.com
Mon Oct 27 09:54:10 PST 2003

On Oct 27, 2003, at 8:49 AM, richard childers / kg6hac wrote:

> What OS & mail client do -you- use?

I use Solaris, Windows XP occasionally, but live almost 90% of the time
in Mac OS X these days. I love Mac OS X. Finally, a fully-fledged shell
(and in Panther, made it even better) with most of the tools I've come
to learn and love. If a tool doesn't exist, I can just port it over, if
it's open source. I like FreeBSD ports, so Darwin Ports is right up my
alley. Lots of people like Fink. Any way you cut it, it has been my
computing home for over two years now (converted from a mish-mash of
Windows, Solaris and Linux) and I even enjoy using a desktop GUI again.

On Mac OS X, I use the Apple Mail application. I love it. Simple and it
gets the job done. It has an acceptable spam filter and the new Mail in
Panther got better. I like the integration with the OS X Address Book.
The annoying thing is in-line PDF viewing. I'd rather spawn a separate
PDF viewer (or Quicktime, or whatever app) rather than have it
"previewed" in my mail client's preview window.

-john