misquotes & sidesteps (and hiding behind podiums)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 14 15:23:43 PDT 2003

Quoting richard childers / kg6hac (fscked at pacbell.net):

> "[More delays because of HTML & my schedule.]"
>
> It appears that you are misquoting me; I did not say this.

Please check your outbound.  I'm quoting back exactly how you quoted the
listadmin's inserted comment, from when he manually approved your post.

> While attempting to reduce a technical problem to a metaphorical, or
> allegorical, description is sometimes useful, in this case it appears to
> be more of an attempt to sidestep responsibility, than to accurately
> depict the problem in a way so that everyone can understand it.

I'm sorry, but BayLISA's reasons for filtering HTML sent to mailing
lists should be apparent to others generally, even if it isn't to you.
Therefore, if you prefer to have postings _not_ held for listadmin
attention, in the future, you know what to do.

Or, as the joke's punchline goes, "So, Don't Do That, Then."

> That is, if you're saying "Don't use the service", you have a rather
> indirect way of stating your mind ... leading me to wonder if you are
> fearful to state your thoughts directly ... or if I have misunderstood
> you [...]

Ah.  Well, charity suggests I assume you misunderstood me.

Just to make sure there can be no further misunderstanding:  Your
original list post was automatically held and diverted to the listadmin,
because of its HTML contents.  The listadmin inserted the above-quoted
bracketed comment explaining the delay, when he released your post to
the list.  You then ignored his explanation, and complained under the
apparent misapprehension of there being a technical problem.  I then
attempted to call your attention to the posting delay having been
proximately caused by _you_.  Which then lead to the current exchange.

Are we on the same page, now?

> If you're not capable of responding to a technically accurate
> description of what appears to be a technical problem with anything
> other than hyperbole, then either it's not a -technical- problem ... or
> ... well, I trust you know the punchline.

Filtering HTML postings for listadmin attention isn't a "problem" of any
sort; it's competent mail administration.  We do that, here.

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.