Do You Know SCO? (clarification)

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 9 15:58:33 PDT 2003

I'm seeing a lot of good answers, but it's also clear pretty much
everyone thus far has about as much SCO experience as I do, and so the
suggestions are fairly common-sense but lacking in those gritty details.

(format.dat's a good guess, though; tip of the hat to Maureen Woodward,
she's in the lead, such as it is.)

It might help if I clarify matters by saying that it is -not- the boot
disk which was replaced.

Let's see, I think I have some error messages scribbled down here ...
haven't Google'd 'em yet.

G hd_config
WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found
H init ime Loadable Driver may be required
G drain8042
PANIC: srmountfun Error 19 mounting rootdev (1/42)
Error 19 opening dumpdev (1/41)
Dump not completed
*** Safe to Power Off ***

I also note that the devices were all visible to the SCSI controller's
BIOS, so that shoots my hardware incompatibility theory down ...

(Gee ... I could see how printing a cryptic error message on the
whiteboard, and then challenging the crowd to diagnose the problem, one
question at a time, with a prize for whoever gets it first, could be a
real crowd-pleaser ... at a meeting of systems administrators.)

-- richard