Do You Know SCO?

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 9 14:52:48 PDT 2003

Do you know SCO?

Santa Cruz Operations' UNIX, that is?

I don't know the version of SCO; but I know someone, who has a customer,
whose SCO installation had a hard drive die. They need help.

It would be fair to charge $80 an hour - but it would also be fair to
say that you would be expected to provide expertise, in exchange for the
privilege of charging money, for sitting on your butt, restoring their data.

Before I can provide interested parties with the contact information,
you must convince -me- that you know more than I do about this problem
... so that I can hand it off to you, in good faith.

Here's the history.

I was brought in to diagnose the problem; hardware or software? After
some poking around, I found SCO's equivalent of /usr/adm/messages, and
in it, hard error messages naming a device and the bad blocks. I
extracted the device name, translated the UNIX nomenclature into a SCSI
device for the benefit of the service provider, and also provided a list
of bad blocks.

Several weeks later, I was called and asked to come down ASAP; the
service provider was returning the computer to the customer, the drive
had been swapped, but it wasn't booting with the new drive, only when
they put the old drive in. He was hoping I could help.

The old drive was a once-widely recognized 9 GB SCSI of, I'd guess, late
1990s vintage. He was unable to replace it, he said, and so had
installed a larger 30 GB drive, but it didn't work.

Although I won't go into the physical hardware here, it's not unlikely
that there was a mismatch in the SCSI controller, cable, and drive; I
have recommended that he get an identical drive simply because although
it is very intellectually satisfying to puzzle out what is not working,
it also takes many hours, is rarely cost-effective, and requires
technicians with at least a two-year degree from a junior college in
electronics or computer hardware, which, I judge, may be lacking here
(and for this reason, diplomacy is required, as well as technical
expertise).

To make matters worse, throughout this sequence of events he had
insisted that Norton Ghost would be sufficient unto all his
requirements. Having recently dealt with a Linux server that had been
Ghosted (and it was one un-bootable, un-filesystem-checkable piece of
silicon, too), I had my doubts; I know too much about how filesystems
and hard drives and bad block mapping works to assume that you can buy a
one-size-fits-all solution, shrinkwrapped, at CompUSA.

But I have not said so explicitly; I hate to argue with a customer.
(Again, diplomacy is indicated.)

My intuition is that there are a combination of problems here; a
hardware mismatch combined with an operating system gotcha.

(I'm not against working on this directly, if there's someone out there
who wants to answer questions and permit me to do the dirty work in
exchange for a small honorarium for their wisdom and guidance, by the
way, if they're reading this, are knowledgeable, but are feeling
undermotivated ... contact me.)

My intuition is that the solution involves negotiating the hardware
mismatch ... reconciling the operating system gotcha ... building a new
filesystem ... and reloading the data from backups, made either
immediately before the disk is exchanged, or from a stack of tapes whose
contents and dates of creation would probably need to be audited and
verified beforehand (IE, more hours of work).

If you are reading this, have detailed expertise with SCO, and can
provide objective references to materials which corroborate your
diagnosis, analysis, or terminology (IE, URLs), I'd like to discuss
either leveraging off of your expertise, or handing this off to you,
entirely, so that the customer - poor wretches, they are underpaid,
overeducated financial and statistical analysts trapped in a world of
high finance but receiving only crumbs for their economic labors ...
they have more in common with systems administrators then they do with
financiers - can have their computer back, working reliably, their faith
in UNIX (dare I say it?) restore(8)'d.

(-:

Thanks in advance,

-- richard