[baylisa] I'm having problems waking up!

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Wed Mar 26 09:41:06 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:51:15AM -0800, David Alban wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm having problems with sleeping/waking my thinkpad t20 ever since I
> clean installed red hat 7.3.  I experience one of two different
> problems, each of which puts the machine in a state where powering
> down using the power button (and subsequently booting) is the only
> way to regain control of the machine.
>
> The blackout problem:  Sometimes when I open the lid after using Fn +
> F4 to suspend, the screen lights, but is all black.  The system is
> then unresponsive.
>
> The load creep problem:  Sometimes when I open the lid, the system
> resumes operation, but within one or two minutes, the load gets so
> high that the system is unresponsive.  I've tried opening a terminal
> window with top(1) before sleeping.  When this load problem occurs,
> top doesn't show anything unusual (except the increasing load), even
> right up to the moment where the machine hangs hard.  One time, when
> the load was still around 1.0 and I noticed it was going up
> irregularly, I quickly entered "init 6" at a root prompt.  The system
> load continued to rise, I didn't get the prompt back, it didn't
> reboot (or go down), and within seconds the system was unresponsive
> to anything.
>
> Again, these problems started happening shortly after my red hat 7.3
> install. The "blackout" problem may have happened once or twice
> previously, when I ran suse, but only once or twice over a year or
> so.[1]  Now, when I sleep the unit, 7 times out of 10 it goes foobar
> upon waking.  The load creep problem is new.
>
> (The battery has been almost to full capacity when this has happened,
> so it's not a low battery issue.)
>
> I always sync the disks just before sleeping, and I haven't yet lost
> any data or gotten any filesystem corruption, but it is *sooooooo*
> annoying.
>
> Any ideas?

The debian laptop folk are increasingly using kernels they build
personally with acpi+swsuspend patches.

Perhaps you could try stealing a kernel package from a newer redhat yet
and see if they fixed something.  ACPI support has been getting better.

TH9 just came out as "available early" - on shelves soon... any reason
in your context not to roll further forward again?

I assume you have backups and go to the old setup?  maybe you could
steal back *its* kernel.  You know that worked.

Moral:  kernels don't care what distro you use, they may care a teeny
bit what modutils you're wired up for (and that may care about glibc,
silly beast).

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078