[baylisa] I'm having problems waking up!

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Mon Mar 24 09:51:15 PST 2003

Greetings!

I'm having problems with sleeping/waking my thinkpad t20 ever since I
clean installed red hat 7.3.  I experience one of two different
problems, each of which puts the machine in a state where powering
down using the power button (and subsequently booting) is the only
way to regain control of the machine.

The blackout problem:  Sometimes when I open the lid after using Fn +
F4 to suspend, the screen lights, but is all black.  The system is
then unresponsive.

The load creep problem:  Sometimes when I open the lid, the system
resumes operation, but within one or two minutes, the load gets so
high that the system is unresponsive.  I've tried opening a terminal
window with top(1) before sleeping.  When this load problem occurs,
top doesn't show anything unusual (except the increasing load), even
right up to the moment where the machine hangs hard.  One time, when
the load was still around 1.0 and I noticed it was going up
irregularly, I quickly entered "init 6" at a root prompt.  The system
load continued to rise, I didn't get the prompt back, it didn't
reboot (or go down), and within seconds the system was unresponsive
to anything.

Again, these problems started happening shortly after my red hat 7.3
install. The "blackout" problem may have happened once or twice
previously, when I ran suse, but only once or twice over a year or
so.[1]  Now, when I sleep the unit, 7 times out of 10 it goes foobar
upon waking.  The load creep problem is new.

(The battery has been almost to full capacity when this has happened,
so it's not a low battery issue.)

I always sync the disks just before sleeping, and I haven't yet lost
any data or gotten any filesystem corruption, but it is *sooooooo*
annoying.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
David

[1]  I don't really know if the blackout problem happened with suse.
     I just can't remember.  It might not have.  I don't know...
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***