Trouble ticketing systems?

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Thu Jun 19 21:46:10 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 07:01:20PM -0400, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael at halligan.org):
> > I was wondering if I could get some opinions/experiences with
> > different ticketing systems?  Lately I've lost interest in
> > spending so much time on bugfixing, learning rather peculiar
>
> You don't mention that other thing:
> Your requirements

One thing I really really really really like is the ability to manage
tickets via e-mail, which I am very used to, instead of dealing with
some funny web interface that is completely new to me.

This is doubly important, imho, when I am a user in need of help and
would rather spend time explaining that I need help by sending an e-mail
to IT instead of hunting down the web interface and figuring out how to
fill in the form, only to see it break on me or otherwise give me weird
errors that only increase my frustrations with technology and the people
who support it.

Because I'm so picky about this, I hacked really deep into Bugzilla
internals to bodge up an interface so that not only could I send an
e-mail to an alias and get a ticket filed as a result, I could also
follow up to the e-mail from my happy threaded mail folder and
manipulate its state with some simple command macros.

Now, I've been mostly out in the analog world these past few years, but
I'm curious if I'm the only person with these weird 1990s-style
feelings, and whether e-mail integration is a requirement that you folks
look for and that the ticket systems integrate cleanly.  If you would
rather not pollute the list though, I'm happy to hear from you in
private. :)

Thanks,
-danny

--