Trouble ticketing systems?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Thu Jun 19 16:01:20 PDT 2003

Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael at halligan.org):
> I was wondering if I could get some opinions/experiences with
> different ticketing systems?  Lately I've lost interest in
> spending so much time on bugfixing, learning rather peculiar

You don't mention that other thing:
Your requirements

I've used req and wreq at a midsized company with 20-80 users
pretty well for IT type task management, subverted into
Professional Services a bit.  Bugzilla was brought in much
later for proper software bug tracking.

I liked Bugzilla.  I liked getting mail when my bugs were
marked "won't fix" so I could go smack someone.

Remedy was just fine, in times of yore (last used by me 1995).
Commercial.

Commercial isn't necessarily bad.  If you can have it up and
running and with help a phone call away, then you save time.
Time you can use for other things.

Push bugfixing off to a support group.

Of no real relevance, perhaps:
At a previous job, we also got a multi-user calendar type
program that was mainly perl.  For a few hundred $$$$.  It
was mostly 1 guy who was running it.  Good, we'll support
small developers.  It was missing some things. We paid him a
bit to write those things, on the contigent that it be part
of the main code (we don't want a one-off).  In exchange, we
also benefited from things OTHER customers paid him to do.

It was a stop-gap because the company was gonna get a great
calendar/tracking tool.  For 4 years, they were gonna get
a great replacement.  Yessiree!...

They did try to get us to use a Windows-only thing, but we
pretty much flat out refused (I might have phrased our refusal
as "We're on the road 70% of the time and we carry Unix laptops
doing Unix work on Unix systems - are you high?").