DSL provider recommendation

Brent Chapman Brent at greatcircle.com
Wed Jul 23 23:35:40 PDT 2003

At 6:05 PM -0700 7/23/03, Alvin Oga wrote:
>if a business cannot afford to be offline during business
>hours, they should have at least 2 dsl lines just in case
>one dies in the middle of the day

If a business cannot afford to be offline during business hours, they
shouldn't be on a DSL connection.

Many of the more common DSL failure modes will take out all the lines
in a neighborhood: a cable cut, a DSLAM failure at the CO, or a
failure of the T3 between the DSLAM and the carrier's hub, for
example (there are many more examples).

One of the reasons that DSL is relatively cheap is that it doesn't
have all the redundancy and service level agreements and such that
you get with traditional high-speed data lines (T1, etc.).  You get
what you pay for.

I was Covad's original network architect, so I'm pretty familiar with
the various failure modes...

>outages and quality seem to vary depending on city/block location

Yes, for a whole bunch of reasons.  Quality of the telco
infrastructure in that area, cluefulness/cluelessness of the local
telco personnel in that area, the vagaries of a particular piece of
equipment (a flaky DSLAM in the CO, for example), etc.

>users at home on dsl should have a backup dialup or dsl or cable
>( use 2 of the 3 .. not just one way to get to the world )

At home, and currently for my consulting business, I use DSL as my
primary connection with a dialup backup.  As I bring the consulting
business back online, I'm considering moving my web presence off to
my ISP's (SpeakEasy, by the way, who I highly recommend) hosting
farm, to improve reliability over the do-it-yourself system I've got
now (a Linux box at the end of my DSL line).  I'll probably host my
top-level pages (which are mostly static) at SpeakEasy, and my
various mailing list archives and such (which are mostly dynamic) on
my own host, so that I have total software control over them.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman <Brent at GreatCircle.COM>
Great Circle Associates, Inc. -- Silicon Valley's IT Infrastructure Experts