DSL provider recommendation

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Jul 23 19:19:09 PDT 2003

>Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Alvin Oga <alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com>

>if a business cannot afford to be offline during business
>hours, they should have at least 2 dsl lines just in case
>one dies in the middle of the day

Umm... that's going to depend a great deal on just what mode(s) of
failure you hope to protect against -- and odds are that each of the DSL
connections will have *both* ends in common:  one for the customer
premises; the other at the CO (note singular).

>outages and quality seem to vary depending on city/block location

Certainly.

>users at home on dsl should have a backup dialup or dsl or cable
>( use 2 of the 3 .. not just one way to get to the world )

Both that, and the above "2 DSL" approach can make things enough more
complex that they really aren't feasible approaches.

FWIW, I had had intermittent, but fairly severe, problems with my
(home) DSL connection for several months... until a tech was sent out
who had just come from another Pac*Bell DSL customer in the area with
similar problems.  He was *finally* able to pursuade his colleagues at
the CO to investigate snfc21.pbi.net One More Time ... and viola! -- I
had no more recurrences of the mode of failure in question.

Unfortunately, I don't have valid statistics on this:  a couple of
weeks ago, my spouse noted a lack of connectivity (which I confirmed); I
checked the log being produced by a little Perl script that was supposed
to be monitoring the situation, and it gave no indication that there
was a problem.

Turned out that I had a nasty bug in the script; I made the cute
optimization that I had put in there about 1.5 years prior a non-default
option (thus the script was more accurate, at a cost of being more
invasive).

Last Monday evening, I had an opportunity to figure out what had gone
wrong, and fixed the script (so that the passive, non-invasive approach
worked).  I have no outages to report since Jul 21 21:01:41, when the
fixed version was implemented -- but that's less than 48 hours ago.

(The script is intended as part of a circumvention for the original
problems I was having with the line:  if it detects a lack of
connectivity, it tries various forms of evasive action, logging as it
does so, culminating with using some X10 (home automation) stuff to
power-cycle the Alcatel ADSL "MODEM" automatically.  I suppose that
merely the monitoring/reporting functions would be of some use to some
folks; I can put it up on www.catwhisker.org, if there's interest.  Fair
warning:  it is cobbled up assuming a FreeBSD environment; it parses and
uses output from "netstat" a fair amount, so to the extent that this
differs from FreeBSD's "netstat" in your environment, this could
be annoying to work with.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Based on what I have seen to date, the use of Microsoft products is not
consistent with reliability.  I recommend FreeBSD for reliable systems.