Local source for a specific nutdriver?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Dec 31 13:25:59 PST 2003

I have a set of Xcelite "midget" nutdrivers that I've had since
about 1970.  They have served me well -- despite occasional abuse
(such as the ~1/12 twist I managed to impart to the P10 (5/16")
nutdriver's handle around 1973).

Recently, I allowed someone else to use that P10 nutdriver, and the
handle finally gave out in the line of duty.

Both because of "reduced financial circumstances" and a strong desire to
avoid wasting resources, I am disinclined to purchase an entire 11-piece
(10 nutdrivers + a "torque amplifier" -- Xcelite's term for a "big,
slip-on handle") replacement set; I want to buy a single P10 nutdriver
(midget 5/16"; amber handle).

I recall having seen individual Xcelite nutdrivers for such sets
for sale ...  back at ham-shacks and the like when I still lived
in southern California.

I've checked HSC/Halted, as well as the Fremont Fry's.  And Home Depot;
I'll likely check OSH next time we head that direction (though I'd
expect them to stock more Craftsman stuff, since OSH is part of Sears).

I've also checked eBay, amazon.com, yahoo.com, and did a Google search
(which, I admit, turned up some leads, but shipping a $2.80 piece of
merchandise across the country seems to be a bit wasteful,; indeed, some
of the places apparently have (not-obviously-disclosed) "minimum
purchase quantities").  I'd like to do business "locally" (live in
Redwood City; work in Fremont now, so just about anywhere roughly
"between" those works).

I should point out, too, that "new" condition is not a prerequisite.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
If you want true virus-protection for your PC, install a non-Microsoft OS
on it.  Plausible candidates include FreeBSD, Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and
Solaris (in alphabetical order).