When a customer burns you.

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Mon Dec 1 21:05:37 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:43:57PM -0800, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
> > On the other hand, the client may use exactly that sort of attitude against
> > you -- "he's desperate (especially in these times) and wouldn't dare quit."
>
> If you're desperate for money, you shouldn't be a consultant. I personally
> keep a year's buffer, as well as a lawyer on retainer.  I think a minimum
> of 6 months buffer and a good lawyer & accountant are essential for ANY
> consultant.

I'm not disagreeing.  I'm pointing out that staying no matter what can
create the impression that you're desperate and spineless.  In our company,
we had some substantial discussions about it before we initiated the work
stoppage, and the person who proposed it (whose client it was) pointed out
we were risking them saying "fine, go away."  We ended up doing it, despite
being desperate for money (yes, we started with a year's buffer.  Nine
months afterwards, we didn't have a year's buffer), because we felt that
getting the relationship back where he needed to be -- "We work.  You pay"
was of fundamentally critical importance.

-roy