When a customer burns you.

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Mon Dec 1 20:43:57 PST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Roy S. Rapoport wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 02:32:01PM -0800, Strata R Chalup wrote:
> > It's a bit late now that you've quit, but my advice in this
> > situation is never to quit unless the client is visibly broke.
> > As long as you are still onsite and helping, they have an
> > incentive to pay you something, even if it's installments and
> > overdue.  Once you walk away, they have ZERO incentive to
> > pay you, figuring that it will take more money in legal fees
> > and lost wages on your part to collect than they owe.  :-/
>
> On the other hand, the client may use exactly that sort of attitude against
> you -- "he's desperate (especially in these times) and wouldn't dare quit."

If you're desperate for money, you shouldn't be a consultant. I personally
keep a year's buffer, as well as a lawyer on retainer.  I think a minimum
of 6 months buffer and a good lawyer & accountant are essential for ANY
consultant.

> In some respects, it's also a question of what you're doing for the client.
> The one time my last consulting company had a seriously recalcitrant
> client, we were their sole IT provider -- we were doing everything from
> strategic projects to day-to-day support.  They couldn't let us leave
> without suffering some pretty significant danger of downtime, and so we
> were in a stronger position when we initiated the work stoppage.
>
> Of course, that's another element -- there's a big difference between "you
> guys aren't paying me, I quit" and "We will not be doing work until these
> differences are resolved," though again that's likely dependent on the
> actual type of duties you're performing.

Michael T. Halligan
Chief Geek
Halligan Infrastructure Designs.
http://www.halligan.org/