[baylisa] Perverting web bugs

David Alban extasia at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 31 13:14:31 PST 2002

Greetings!

I expect occasionally to get spam with web bugs.  spamassassing is
nice enough to identify the messages containint them.  My question:
can I sick 'em on somebody else?  I recently put my resume on dice,
and so now I get job related spam.  Fair enough, I knew when I put my
resume on dice that I'd get stuff like that.  No biggie.

However, it did occur to me that I might use my browser to "visit"
the web bug URL, but substituting any given "return" address, or any
other spammer's email address for my address.

Sure, the spammer email addresses may be bogus, but if I get job
related spam messages where they actually want you to reply via
email, then I'm assuming the email address is valid enough that it is
capable of receiving email.  If not, nothing is lost.  Or maybe, even
better, it will increase a spammer's bounced messages.

It would require very little effort to generate a file of links using
web bugs and candidate spammer email addresses and then bring up the
file in $BROWSER and visit each link.

If there's a chance that I can get one spammer on another's list,
I'll do it, because, as I said, it's very cheap to do.  Do you think
there's a chance?

Thanks,
David
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***