Sun CD-ROM problems

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Tue Nov 26 13:34:17 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:09:34PM -0800, Jim Hickstein wrote:
> OK, that was good.  Let's try another one. (Sorry for the traffic, but
> we've always said we wanted this list to be a place to go for answers, and
> today I have two problems.)
>
> I have this Sun Ultra-10, missing a CD-ROM drive.  Guy gave it back to
> saying he could never get an OS loaded. (OK, maybe it's him.)  Stuff in one
> of the PC-type POS 50x EIDE drives, disk spins up and down and up and down
> and up and down and it boots, sort of, but takes forever.  Two or three
> drives did the same thing.
>
> I've got my finger on a Sun part number drive on eBay.  32x this time.
> What are the chances this will fix anything?  Do I have a bad controller?
> A mechanically bad CD?  (Several do the same thing.)  Have I just thrown
> away fifty bucks on eBay?  (Again? :-)

ex-coworker of me used a Dell cdrom from a PC (some 40x drive or so).
Attached it to an x1 to load software. worked without a problem. So
my guess would be, possible back controller.

But ... the sun has two channels, have you tried the cdrom on the first
channel together with the disk ?

--
Regards, Ulf.