Sun CD-ROM problems

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Tue Nov 26 13:09:34 PST 2002

OK, that was good.  Let's try another one. (Sorry for the traffic, but
we've always said we wanted this list to be a place to go for answers, and
today I have two problems.)

I have this Sun Ultra-10, missing a CD-ROM drive.  Guy gave it back to
saying he could never get an OS loaded. (OK, maybe it's him.)  Stuff in one
of the PC-type POS 50x EIDE drives, disk spins up and down and up and down
and up and down and it boots, sort of, but takes forever.  Two or three
drives did the same thing.

I've got my finger on a Sun part number drive on eBay.  32x this time.
What are the chances this will fix anything?  Do I have a bad controller?
A mechanically bad CD?  (Several do the same thing.)  Have I just thrown
away fifty bucks on eBay?  (Again? :-)