My last plea,

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Wed Feb 27 16:22:50 PST 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, joe bsd wrote:
> protect our interests and companies that abuse those laws.   You
> cannot continue to replace American workers by the thousands without
> damaging our way of life here.

My problem with this discussion is that, more and more, it seems that the
tack being taken to optimize profits is not hiring H1Bs but rather moving
operations oversees.  This sort of operations shifting to oversees
resources is less likely to harm people like me (Senior IT people) and more
likely to harm the lower-level people (e.g. tech support peons), but
unfortunately that means that we might be causing some serious damage to
the apprenticeship model that, I think, has been responsible for the truly
great IT people I've worked with.

> Public access to those H1-B related documents is one the only job
> protections that you have

No.  Another job protection you have is to be worth more to your company
than an H1B resource they could get elsewhere.

Look, you can always be replaced.  It's a fact of life.  You can look at it
as a conflict with the company where you have to find all the legal ways to
make sure they keep you around, or you can look at it as a cut-throat
environment where the cheapest AND BEST	resource will win the job.

I'm a rather highly paid IT professional.  You should be able to throw a
stone at random and find someone who's willing to do my job for less money.
I'm betting my salary on the fact you'll have a hard time finding someone
to do my job for as money money as I get as well as I do it.

-roy