My last plea,

joe bsd joebsd1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 14:58:59 PST 2002

Just to clarify.  As I already stated before,  I'm not blaming
the H1-B people for coming here.  I really enjoyed working with
people from all different countries.  I'm blaming laws that don't
protect our interests and companies that abuse those laws.   You
cannot continue to replace American workers by the thousands without
damaging our way of life here.

Did you know it is your right to see the Labor Condition
Application(LCA) form ETA-9035 at the employers premises?  Probably
not.  This is the form stating that the company wants to hire a
foreign worker and promising not to displace an American. Did you
know that whenever a company wants to hire an H1-B, they have to post
a notice at two locations in the workplace of the future H1-B?  Did
you know the employer has to show you upon request, documentation
about what they are paying the H1-B?  I bet the answer is "no", for
most of you.

Public access to those H1-B related documents is one the only job
protections that you have and I bet most of you have never requested
to see these documents or even were aware of your rights to see them.
That's because it the best kept secret of the H1-B policy.  I had no
idea either until I was forced to ask myself "What the hell is going
on?".  The deeper I dig into this issue, the more it stinks.

I have been to Sun Microystems and looked at box after box full
of H1-B visa applications. So many, I couldn't count them all.  And
that was just for 2001, a recession year.   Some of the LCA's were
for my exact job and probably yours, too.  I looked at all those
boxes of LCA's and thought about the thousands of workers that Sun
laid off in 2001.  I thought about the thousands of qualified
American workers looking for work.  It made me sick.

I'm NOT trying to start a racist movement.  I have had responses from
people who are themselves recent immigrants and former H1-B's and
they agree with me 100%.  If it were really true(And it's not) that
we can't find enough American workers for some of our best jobs, in a
nation of 300,000,000, is the H1-B a real solution?  The real
solution should be education and training.  I've traveled this
country extensively, from Indian Reservations to inner city slums.
We have quite a few people right here who are waiting for their
chance at the American Dream.

They are done pulling the wool over my eyes.  I'm sorry if some you
think this is my worst side.  This is one of the few times in my life
that I'm standing up for what I think is right. I talked to the San
Jose Mercury News.  They are doing a story on this H1-B issue.  The
reporter said she has heard dozens of complaints but nobody with the
guts to leave their name.  She wants to take my picture for the
article. I know I can't convince all of you of the seriousness of
this problem, but I know there are some of you who have the sense to
understand.  Please don't let me stand alone when the Mercury News
takes the picture for this story.  I'm certainly not doing all this
just for myself.

Sincerely,

   Guy Santiglia

Call me or email if you want to help with this cause:

408-249-8225

"America can only rise up and live the true level of its creed as a
country of freedom and democracy so long as each and every succeeding
generation of Americans is willing to stand up and fight for what it
believes in, willing to stand up and fight against what is wrong, and
willing to stand up and fight for what is right. Because if a man
doesn't have a worthy and noble cause that he is willing to fight and
die for, then he has no reason to go on living."

---- Martin Luther King, spoken just a few days before he died.