Save our jobs.

Daniel Curry dcurry at cariocas.com
Wed Feb 27 12:49:38 PST 2002

<Applauds>
This list needs to focus on what we, within this list,
can do.  Either on our own, or within the scope of a baylisa gathering.
Stop worrying about what's wrong with the world and just look for work.
Anything else you should get some cheese to go with that whine. :)
</Applauds>

Now, do any of those who HAVE found work care to share any tips for
what's
worked?  I think those out of work already know what hasn't. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to say I was fortunate with the latest job change.  I was
working for a company (closing it down)  had about 30 days before the
doors were locked, and I was 'found' by my current employer.  This was
last April.  I missed the worst part of the lay-offs.

Over the last 10 months, I have been helping two very good and close
friends look for jobs, stretching those networks, actually begging a
previous supervisor to at least consider an associate of mine for a
position he had open.  Two years ago when I moved out here it was an
'employee' market.  If you had the skills, and could sell your self, you
could almost write your own ticket.  Now it is just the opposite.  I was
called last week as a personal reference for a guy I know.  He was
applying for a net admin job in a mixed Unix/Linux/Win? Environment.
The position is full time for another struggling startup, but is only
$44K with no health, parking, or other benefits.  Unemployment ran out a
long time ago, and he is hungry, not just for work.  Flipping burgers at
a local burger joint will not help much.

There are some jobs out there, not many, but a few.

As I asked homeless bum the other day that was harassing people at a bus
stop: 'How hungry are you?  Are you willing to work for the handout you
are asking for?'  he walked away grumbling about finding good
Christians.

I know there is a big difference between the members of this list and
the homeless.  At least there was 18 months ago.  But with the economy
doing its thing, many people need to look at this as an opportunity to
sharpen skills, build a backup skill set, etc.  I am.  I am picking up
some fresh programming skills, and taking MBA classes. There are a lot
of new scholarships available for those people wanting to shift careers
or update skills.

My wife, God bless her sweet and patient heart, is a school teacher and
has been very scared, but very understanding.  Don't forget to think of,
and thank those that are supporting you during this time of trouble.

This is just my opinion and point of view.  You are welcome to share it
or disagree with it.  Such is your right for having the responsibility
of intelligent thought.

Daniel Curry
IT Manager
Cariocas