Save our jobs.

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed Feb 27 06:50:20 PST 2002

>  > When a company has to lay people off, Citizenship or permanent
>>  resident status is not even considered in making the decision.
>>  I think this is just plain wrong.
>
>I don't think this is wrong. I think that the bottom line of most
>corporations is to make money efficiently - and hiring/retaining the
>best people possible is a part of that process.

But the "condition" on a company being granted permission to get an
H1 employee is "I can't find US employees to do this job, so I have
to go outside the country to do it".

If there's two employees, one doing job A who is a US citizen, and
one doing job B who is on an H1, and job A is being eliminated, then
- if the US citizen CAN DO job B, he should be moved to Job B, and
the H1 holder should be the one laid off.

I was recently laid off and (luckily given the market) had a
"probable new job" lined up inside of 12 hours and confirmed within
72, so I didn't really think too much about it at the time, but in
hindsight, I could definitely see where a US citizen who was laid
off, while an equally qualified H1-holder was kept could make a good
argument that the company isn't following the spirit OR the letter of
the H1 Visa process...

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |
|  Derek J. Balling   |  That ever lived in the tide of times.  |
|                     |  Woe to the hand that shed this costly  |
|                     |  blood" - Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 1  |