Save our jobs.

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Feb 27 08:14:25 PST 2002

>Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:50:20 -0500
>From: "Derek J. Balling" <dredd at megacity.org>

>>  > When a company has to lay people off, Citizenship or permanent
>>>  resident status is not even considered in making the decision.
>>>  I think this is just plain wrong.

>>I don't think this is wrong. I think that the bottom line of most
>>corporations is to make money efficiently - and hiring/retaining the
>>best people possible is a part of that process.

>But the "condition" on a company being granted permission to get an
>H1 employee is "I can't find US employees to do this job, so I have
>to go outside the country to do it".

>If there's two employees, one doing job A who is a US citizen, and
>one doing job B who is on an H1, and job A is being eliminated, then
>- if the US citizen CAN DO job B, he should be moved to Job B, and
>the H1 holder should be the one laid off.

That's more of an issue to bring to your elected representatives than
anything else.  There's a (local, in case anyone from outside of
California is reading this) election in less than a week -- and this is
your opportunity (such as it is) to bring these issues before the
candidates and make your decisions according to what you believe to be
optimal.

Note that much of the above-quoted material may be variously interpreted
as relating to statements of (intended) fact about the law vs. what is
"just" in terms or ethics, morality, or equity.  IANAL, so I won't go
further in that direction, except to point the ambiguity out, and to
note that I have been known to use ambiguity quite deliberately upon
occasion.  Whether the authors of the above intended the ambiguity in
their messages is not for me to determine.

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.