Save our jobs.

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Wed Feb 27 00:37:56 PST 2002

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, joe bsd wrote:
> I think this is an apropriate topic, because we all need jobs and
> like to put food on our tables.

An appropriate topic in my books would have been "I've noticed that it's
much harder to find jobs in this economic climate - what sort of tactics
have people been using to find/retain jobs?"

> When a company has to lay people off, Citizenship or permanent
> resident status is not even considered in making the decision.
> I think this is just plain wrong.

I don't think this is wrong. I think that the bottom line of most
corporations is to make money efficiently - and hiring/retaining the
best people possible is a part of that process.

It's extremely expensive to train new people (it mean that you have
at least two non-productive people during the training period), and
very inefficient to lose existing knowledge.

Personally, I'd rather see people laid off on the basis of needed
skill and knowledge, and finanicial situation than citizenship.

Something which I've found interesting about "bad times" is that they
seem to bring out the best in some, and the worst in others.  To some
people, it's an opportunity to try and help the less fortunate, and
pull together as a community to attempt to better everyones lot.

cheers!
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."