PXE-booting x86 boxen [was: Re: BayLISA tomorrow, Dec 19, 7:30 pm]

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sat Dec 21 06:12:10 PST 2002

>Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 02:55:14 -0800
>From: Danny Howard <dannyman at toldme.com>

>I've played with FreeBSD in this vein.  The resource for BSD nerds, if
>you wanna compare notes, is http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/ ...
>my own notes on the subject of doing installs from that point, were left
>with an old employer, though I should have a copy somewhere, if anyone
>wants to learn of the gotchyas I got to wrestle with - doing the disk
>partitioning on FreeBSD non-interactively was pretty weird.

Another resource for FreeBSD PXE-booting is Doug Ambrisko; his Web stuff
tends to be anchored at http://www.ambrisko.com/doug.  He doesn't seem
to have any obviously PXE-related stuff posted there, but he
(independently of Alfred's work) set up a PXE-based mechanism (that we
both subsequently hacked a bit) to be able to roll out cloned
workstations to developers (when he & I were both at Whistle [RIP]).

I may have some notes somewhere; still recovering (as in, email backlog,
among other things) from the local power outage yesterday.  (I'd have
called it merely an "interruption," but it lasted longer than the main
UPS, which lasted an hour. :-{)

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I have no confidence in results obtained through the use of Microsoft products.