P2p & Kazaa War Stories

Nathaniel Good ngood at sims.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 6 19:42:38 PST 2002

Hi. Myself and my colleague Aaron Krekelberg were asked to present at a Bay lisa meeting a while back on our work with Kazaa P2P security. We enjoyed the experience and thank you for your invitation.

Interest in this story continues to persist, and I have recently been contacted by a member of Forbes magazine about an article on Kazaa. The author indicated that she is looking for "war stories from the trenches" about protecting corporate networks from Kazaa and other p2p apps, as well as issues around possible leaks of information through these networks. I am hoping (perhaps in vain) that I can get her to write a good article on how configuration, user error and usability problems are as much a part of security as buffer overflows. Since you guys are in the trenches everyday and voiced a lot of concern about the same issues during our talks, I thought that you guys might be able to help. If you know anyone who is interested, please send me their email address so that I can forward it to the author.

Thanks again for your help,

Nathaniel Good