[Baylisa] tomcat and other monitoring?

Ray Wong rayw at rayw.net
Tue Aug 14 13:13:37 PDT 2012

Hey all, not like there's a lot of list traffic/discussions these
days, but iirc that's actually one of the accepted uses for the list,
so I thought I'd try it out again...

Just wondering if other folks are still having to brew up
monitoring/graphing solutions. detecting outages and failures seems a
given, but there doesn't seem to be much going on WRT graphing trends
and such... In the case of monitoring tomcat, I found a lone thread on
the cacti forums, which generate some vaguely useful graphs, but the
solution is all wrapped up in a rather obfuscating XML-template system
that doesn't seem to lend itself well to certain customizations such
as running multiple instances, etc. Anyone found a better solution, or
figure out enough jmxproxy to come up with more modular, basic scripts
to create something a little more flexible and extensible? There seem
to be newer graphing options (graphite, carbon, etc), but doesn't seem
to be much in the way of actually talking to data sources still.

Anyone? Seems like we all used to deal with a lot of this as
sysadmins, and maybe my googlefu is not strong, but seems like most of
the efforts are all years out of date now.

-R>