how far have mac's made it into large installations?

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Wed Apr 20 18:02:16 PDT 2011

A friend who works at Google told me (sotto voce) that since the China incident
one has to get special permission to install a Windows machine there.  Macs are
standard.  And this was on the East coast!  Sounds incredible, but he's well
placed to know.

It's not true everywhere, of course.  (Not yet.)  My current employer is rife
with people who think computer means Windows, and only a west-coast developer
group (recently acquired) was permitted to keep their Macs, and then only when
they threatened to quit in a bloc.  Yet even at HQ (in New Jersey) there is an
"iPhone project", albeit in a pilot phase.  The executives are bringing their
iPhones and iPads to work and telling the IT people to shut up and get on with
it.  It was ever thus, it just wasn't Apple before.

When Steve Jobs does eventually ... have a successor, I intend to buy heavily on
the panic.  Just by regression to the mean his successor is bound not to hate
"enterprise" per se nearly so much, and there is a lot of room to grow in terms
of market share.  There always was, but now they have shown how it might happen.