how far have mac's made it into large installations?

Greg Kulosa greg at kulosa.org
Wed Apr 20 14:46:36 PDT 2011

We are mostly a Windows shop for desktops.  Servers are FreeBSD.  I asked
for a Mac when I started, because I spend all my time in a terminal
anyway, so I love having a native xterm and shell.  Plus I get regular
Microsoft Office, which everyone knows how to deal with.

We have now grown to a few more Mac's for people who request them.

I was recently promoted to essentially the Director of IT, but I just
can't justify the hardware cost of converting everyone to a Mac, although
I'd really like to.

So we are sticking with Windows, mostly.

But to answer your question, yes the Mac population does seem to be
growing, and getting more acceptable in the corporate world.

I don't have any widespread management tools for them, although I am
considering getting a Time Machine compatible backup server for them.

We don't have any Apple servers, though, if that is what you are asking
about managing.

-Greg