Help troubleshooting Xwindows problem

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Tue Jul 28 21:52:43 PDT 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Clyde Jones wrote:

> I have a user who is having trouble with an X application.  He is
> using cygwin X and the application is very slow from his desktop.  I
> have the same setup, but a faster connection and I have no trouble
> whatsoever.

Given that "but" & the fact that X is very chatty, I'd suggest perhaps
limiting your connection to match his & seeing what happens, or
(assuming you're in reasonably close proximity & the HW involved isn't
bulky) relocating your box to his location.  You could also snoop the
traffic individually for an agreed-upon identical set of actions (e.g.
log in, then back out) to compare packet timings:  if network
bandwidth and/or latency is the cause, and the performance is as bad
as you've implied, you should definitely see it in the timings.

-Guy