(Contra-?)recommendations on consumer-grade NAS?

David Mack davidwmack at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 12:35:27 PDT 2008

I purchased a Buffalo Terastore for around $900 a while back but I
didn't read the details quite carefully enough. I assumed that NAS
implied NFS. Nope. Luckily, Frys cheerfully refunded my money.

Considering the plunge in disk prices, just as well. A few months
later I built a terabyte RAID5 array (including a cold spare disk) for
under $400 on a commodity PC running CentOS4.6. With Samba, I can use
this setup with either my Unix or Windows systems. Then disk prices
went down some more and I now back up not only the RAID array but a
collection of other storage areas on assorted Unix systems onto a 1TB
SATA disk in a separate machine.

If you want an appliance type NAS system that does NFS, make sure that
they advertise that feature.

Dave