clueful home ISP recommendation?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang at wsrcc.com
Mon Jun 4 15:46:44 PDT 2007

Bob Sutterfield writes:
> Comcast (incumbent cable carrier) offers 6M/384K with nice promo
> pricing and possible bundling with TV service.  How's their history of
> reliability, responsiveness, service, etc. in this area?

My experience with Comcast wasn't good .  It took them less than a
week to break my cable modem settings when they took over from Athome.
They offered to have someone out 3 weeks after that point to provide a
needless truck roll for some configuration they broke from their end.

> What DSL providers should I check?  Which should I avoid?
> Other recommendations and warnings are welcome.  Thanks!

www.sonic.net.  They hire folks that are network knowledgeable and it
shows.  They also have a reasonable TOS that allows "servers" and they
offer static IP addresses.  Technically Comcast and ATT-dsl don't seem
to allow anything listening on low-numbered ports.  I don't know if
this is enforced, but I wasn't about to change to a service that
didn't allow at least an sshd daemon running. (ntpd and voip sip/rtp
ports would be nice too, but would appear to also be verboten.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht  <wolfgang at wsrcc.com>  http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
   sip:wsr at wsrcc.com                             ISN: 6001*308