clueful home ISP recommendation?

Bob Sutterfield bob at sutterfields.us
Mon Jun 4 14:57:55 PDT 2007

I know this is a well-worn topic, but alas I no longer have access to
those messages...

I need recommendations for a clueful home connectivity provider in
95070.  I'm not biased toward or away from cable or DSL or
cans+string.  I care mostly about download speed, since upload will be
used only for occasional skype video calls with Grandma.  I don't need
mailboxes or web hosting, only connectivity.

Comcast (incumbent cable carrier) offers 6M/384K with nice promo
pricing and possible bundling with TV service.  How's their history of
reliability, responsiveness, service, etc. in this area?

What DSL providers should I check?  Which should I avoid?

Other recommendations and warnings are welcome.  Thanks!