Interesting article - IT's 7 Deadly Career Sins

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sat Sep 23 19:46:10 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:59:19AM -0700, Jennifer Davis wrote:

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/09/18/38FEjobspitfall_1.html
>
> Not only is the article interesting.. "The Long View: Jobs in 2014" stats
> sidebar has things like Network and computer system adimistrators 38.4%
> increase with Network systems and data communications analysis 54.6%
> increase.
>
> Thoughts?

Dunno; much of what I read as I skimmed the article seemed pretty
much self-evident to me -- which doesn't say that I necessarily
follow the advice all that well.  In my own defense, much of the article
appeared to me to have been written from what I would view as a very
"Corporate" perspective -- and since switching from being a systems
programmer in the IBM mainframe world to being a UNIX sysadmin back in
late 1993, I've rarely been in such environments myself.

I did find the advice "If you fail to heed the fine print in work
agreements, the contracting agency may have you on the hook for
gigs you wouldn't be caught dead in -- had you not signed away your
right to decline offers" rather ironic adjacent to an advert touting
"Microsoft Windows Server System," since such an environment would,
by definition, be one I wouldn't be caught dead in.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Believe SORBS at your own risk: 63.193.123.122 has been static since Aug 1999.