suggestions of Helpdesk software, request tracking - public domain or low cost

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Tue Jul 11 11:35:17 PDT 2006

Guy B. Purcell wrote:
> * Remedy's ARS--this is the engine beneath Remedy's own helpdesk app;
> it's not cheap, but it has several nice features (my favorite was the
> ability to put tickets "on the back burner" for a time & have 'em
> automatically "reactivate" when that time had lapsed--really nice for
> when, say, a customer says they'll get back to you within X days); and
> their actual helpdesk app is very expensive

Actually, _I_ added that, and called it "freeze until" -- very useful
for things like "expect a package on $date" or "call this guy back if he
doesn't call by $date".  For such tickets there is nothing more to do
but wait (just not forever), so it might as well vanish from the "to do"
list for a while.  I miss this feature a lot.

It did use an underlying Remedy ARS feature that could notice the
passage of time and do things.  ARS was a serious chunk of change, and
it's still only a substrate: You will still spend several months
customizing it.  But you end up much further along than if you wrote
something from scratch for those same months.  I was a fairly happy
customer.  This was in about 1995-97.

Since then my money doesn't run to ARS and I'm using RT.  Sadly, it
lacks reporting[1], its "Scrips" engine is not _quite_ easy enough to
figure out (I tried, and timed out), and the basic priority scheme needs
far too much work to be realistic.  (If the top-priority thing in your
queue is not what you end up working on, ask yourself, Why not?)  Not
only do I not have the money this time, I don't have three months to
give to the customization of things like that.

[1] RT, like many of these things, suffers from possibly the worst idea
the 20th century gave us, namely Self-service, or, make the customer do
all the work.  If it's mathematically possible for the customer to
extend the product, no matter the effort required, then the engineers
don't feel the need to build in even sensible starting points.
Reporting?  Why, it's all sitting there in MySQL!