suggestions of Helpdesk software, request tracking - public domain or low cost

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Tue Jul 11 09:42:14 PDT 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 1:02 PM, trm at eskimo.com wrote:

>   I am seeking suggestions of Low cost or public domain Helpdesk
> software
> which is web based and also sends out email messages was needed.
>
>   Examples would be:
>   - troubleticketexpress.com
>   - perldesk.com

I've used a few:

* RT--not much to add beyond what Jennifer & Ramin have said; I
really like it, but I think it has outgrown Perl

* Remedy's ARS--this is the engine beneath Remedy's own helpdesk app;
it's not cheap, but it has several nice features (my favorite was the
ability to put tickets "on the back burner" for a time & have 'em
automatically "reactivate" when that time had lapsed--really nice for
when, say, a customer says they'll get back to you within X days);
and their actual helpdesk app is very expensive

* Double-choco-latte--dumb name; easy to install (it's PHP); a bit
more than simple helpdesk, but it works fine for just that; I didn't
use this much, so don't have a strong opinion

* My previous employer purchased Remedy Magic Service Desk (different
product entirely than their ARS/HelpDesk), but it never got installed
before I left (from talking with the guy doing the install, it seemed
way too integrated with Windows/AD for my comfort)

-Guy