Google Ops Presentation and Meeting Formats

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 30 10:59:57 PST 2006

Quoting Damon Edwards (damon at controltier.com):

> That's a tough order putting room discipline on the shoulders of the
> speaker. You have to remember that the speakers are invited by the
> group... therefore, they would probably feel that they are being rude
> if they go against what the group seems to want.

Yes.  Also, the speaker is usually focussed on his/her presentation, and
not watching the clock.  This is why it's handy to have someone prepared
to lightly step in as needed, in the role of emcee / meeting moderator.

> Isn't it really up to the group to decide what they want from the
> presentations and inform the speakers of the expectations or format?

In my experience, some speakers have strong preferences as to the nature
of audience interaction.  It seems a small thing to indulge, within time
constraints -- though the group can of course suggest a default.