Google Ops Presentation and Meeting Formats

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Fri Jan 27 22:17:26 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 05:36:52PM -0800, Brent Chapman wrote:
> At 5:07 PM -0800 1/27/06, Alan Horn wrote:
> >On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Brent Chapman wrote:
> >>
> >>From my point of view, both of them ended up rushing through the
> >>last 1/2 to 1/3 of their presentations, which is usually the most
> >>interesting parts, because they got held up in the introductory
> >>stuff in the beginning.
> >>

> >But honestly Brent, thats the speaker's issue to solve. We may have
> >to agree to disagree on this point if you don't see it that way.
>
> Yes, it is the speaker's issue to solve, but it is a failing of the
> organizer if the speaker _isn't_ solving it.  The speakers should be
> briefed before-hand on what sort of audience this is and how to
> handle them (were they?), and the organizer should be ready and
> willing to step in during the presentation when things seem to be
> getting extremely bogged down (as they were last night).

Also, the audience shouldn't suck.

Seriously, that's part of my thing with starting this thread ... the
guilty parties on here on the list, right?

The presenter could have done a better job of wrangling a difficult
audience, but even more important, he should have something interesting
to say.

The MC could have done a better job reading the situation and wrangling,
like the presenter, but even more important, they made sure the event
happened on time, in venue, videotape, etc.

The audience ... let's see.  They show up, they snack, they pay their
dues ... gee ... and they could maybe try to respect everyone's time so
that collectively they gain a reputation as a good audience, who merit
the time and attention of presenters and MCs.

:)

So ... I mean, everyone gets some responsibility, but since we're here
on the baylisa list, let's start at home, right?  I felt bad for showing
up late, and for ducking out early, and for developing a private
animosity towards others in the group ...

Anyway ... weekend time.

-danny