Google Ops Presentation and Meeting Formats

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Fri Jan 27 13:23:47 PST 2006

On 1/27/06, Jim Hickstein <jxh at jxh.com> wrote:
> Seriously, though: We (local groups generally) need not only people who
> can moderate meetings, but a system that makes more such people.
> Technical people generally won't sign up for a class on public speaking,
> or anything else they dislike that much, but they can follow someone's
> lead.  If you ask for a volunteer emcee, you won't get the ones who are
> shy.  But maybe you can hook them for something else first (come and
> help set up the video camera!) and then ask if they will broaden their
> involvement if offered some coaching.  (A role-playing session after a
> BLW meeting?)
>
> Same for the very rare skill of beating the bushes for speakers and
> sponsors.  You and Strata can do that; not everyone can.  It can be
> taught, I'm convinced.

Would there be any interest in starting a Toastmasters club for
technical people?  I've been involved in Toastmasters for a few years
now and have learned a great deal about public speaking and
leadership.  And it's a lot cheaper than signing up for a class.

--
Help bring back the San Jose Earthquakes - http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com/