international domain names

Fri Feb 24 23:15:04 PST 2006

hi ya

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Jim Hickstein wrote:

> Quite a few countries have rules that basically mean you can't get a domain there unless you have a physical presence (office, mailing address, employees).  I read through all the fine print over at OpenSRS (www.tucows.com) before signing it all.

those physical presence rules hasn't changed

some domains require a corp taxID too :-) ( aka the french )
other countries want a signed contract :-)

> Years ago I tried and failed to get a domain in .ac.jp even though the outfit I was doing this for was both academic and in Japan.  But they weren't connected with a hard circuit to a member of JPNIC, so no go.  (Also, requests in English went into a black hole.)

i think they might have caught up with who is real and who is a
"heald college" in japan trying to get an *.ac.jp, or maybe not

japan too needs a verifiable physical street address and corp info

- the questions will become ...

	why does google need an "internet license" to operate
	as google.cn  :-)

> YMMV these days, but I would push back hard on the request to register all these domains.  You don't need them to do business in these countries, and you shouldn't have them if you aren't willing to staff a sales office there.

if they have the $$$ ... i don't mind helping them out

if one were to create accts at each registrar/NIC, that'd be
ridiculously time consuming and expensive ...

getting a handful of *.<foreign-tld> is taking about 10 days
so far with all the back-n-forth ...

that's excluding the webhosting corp pretending to be
official "registrars"

registering foreign domains ( legitimately ) is NOT a non-trivial task
as simple as it may sound .. it's not a 5min task to get a domain

c ya
alvin