international domain names

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Fri Feb 24 22:42:31 PST 2006

>- i know this doesn't have much to do with "admin" but,
>  lets say the big-boss says go get acme.<any-tld> in each
>  of the 130 - 200 TLDs .. geez ..
>
>- where does one go to register 1 domains in each of the various
>  countries .. looking for the nic for each country will give
>  your dozens or hundreds of registrars with no info about them

Quite a few countries have rules that basically mean you can't get a domain there unless you have a physical presence (office, mailing address, employees).  I read through all the fine print over at OpenSRS (www.tucows.com) before signing it all.

Years ago I tried and failed to get a domain in .ac.jp even though the outfit I was doing this for was both academic and in Japan.  But they weren't connected with a hard circuit to a member of JPNIC, so no go.  (Also, requests in English went into a black hole.)

YMMV these days, but I would push back hard on the request to register all these domains.  You don't need them to do business in these countries, and you shouldn't have them if you aren't willing to staff a sales office there.