[SAGE] Re: [baylisa] RE: System Administrator Tool chest..

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Feb 8 13:13:26 PST 2006

At 3:40 PM -0500 2006-02-08, Allan West wrote:

>  I now wear custom fit earplugs inside my ears instead, and they are
>  very comfortable while taking the edge off the background noise.

	I've got some closed-cell soft foam earplugs that I always buy
whenever I'm down at Walgreen's Pharmacy (they usually come on cards
in packs of eight), and they have a Noise Reduction Rating of 33
decibels.

	That's the highest NRR I've seen on any hearing protection
device, and I've been very glad to have them -- my wife and I both
snore quite loudly.  I've used them successfully on airplanes and
trains, and they've worked quite well to block out the various noises.

	Shure E5c in-earphones also work quite well to block out external
noises, while providing two high-power drivers for extremely accurate
audio reproduction.  These are the same model as used by many
professional singers and stage performers -- my parents like Kenny
Chesney and I was watching a live concert with them on TV, when I
noticed he was wearing the same model himself.  Of course, they go
with custom fitted plugs and not the standard soft silicone that
ships with the earphones, but I'm happy with what I've got.

	About the only better headphones on the market are the Ultimate
Ear UE-10s, which have three drivers.  IIRC, they can only be had
with custom fitted earplugs (usually in a skin tone color), which is
why I prefer the Shure E5c instead.

	I have worn over-the-head earmuffs when firing various weapons
down on the shooting range, but I don't know what their respective
NRR is.  My experience so far is that I would take the soft foam
in-earplugs (from Walgreens) over anything else.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755