[SAGE] System Administrator Tool chest..

Dan Foster sage at evilphb.org
Fri Feb 3 17:46:44 PST 2006

Hot Diggety! Alan Horn was rumored to have written:

> >A label printer + AC adapter is often handy, too. But this can usually
> >be kept on-site and shared.
>
> No, because you can never find it when you need it, and labelling is so
> essential that this needs to be something people have *no* difficulty
> laying their hands on.

We solved that problem by chaining it (with a long chain) to a padlock. :)

So now it is accessible to all, but cannot be removed from the site --
therefore, we don't run the risk of it being unavailable at a bad time.

I did, however, buy my own USD $30 portable label printer for my laptop
bag, and most of the tools in my bag. So now I don't really care if
not-my-stuff walks off -- let it be a lesson about diligence in securing
items, while it not impeding my work.

I've also noticed that some people uses 15mm labels; they need to be at
least 30mm (or even larger) to be reasonably visible from a distance.

Becomes more important in a reasonably large computer room for locating
offending hardware when scanning rows and racks.

Labels also don't seem to be all of equal quality -- some labels'
adhesive will peel off quickly when exposed to nearby vented hot air
from the system chassis, and some will last forever.

> Also, giving people their own labeller inspires them to take ownership of
> the labelling problem.

That's true. Here, we have it as a checklist item for the turnup
checklist that must be completed prior to considering it production.

-Dan