Hardware Lifecycle Management: How To Start?

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Mon Dec 4 12:22:00 PST 2006

> Since I've got about ... oh, no experience with this issue, and not wanting
> to completely re-implement the wheel, does anyone have any suggestions for
> some good reading materials or guides?

I can contribute this one thing:

When I was at a large networking-equipment company some years ago, the
rule of thumb was to replace all networking equipment when it was
amortized to zero, at 30 months.  Granted, they got it at cost :-) and I
don't know the tax situation exactly.  But there it is, for what it's worth.

The buy/lease decision, and disposal outcomes, will be driven mostly by
tax considerations and the overall financial plan of the company, which
changes over time.  Get to know the auditors early on.  Invite them to
your planning process now.