Bay Area home internet

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 16 00:44:26 PDT 2006

Quoting John Rowan Littell (rowan at hovenweep.org):

> So, I'm moving to the Bay Area -- Oakland, to be specific (actually,
> I'm already here, but still getting settled -- hi all).  And I'm
> trying to figure out what options I have for internet service.

The usual DSL recommendations are (from somewhat leaky memory):

Raw Bandwidth Communications
Speakeasy.net
Sonic.net
probably a couple of others that I'm forgetting.

There are some commercial wireless networks.  Also, some people profess
to like monopoly-cable vendor Comcast, and a few depraved souls claim to
not hate Pacific Telephone^W^W Pacific Bell^W^W SBC^W AT&T.

I'm a very satisfied Raw Bandwidth customer in Menlo Park.  Their
service Just Works.  Their principal Mike Durkin has Major Clue.

The Usenet "ba.internet" is the traditional place to get current on the
provider-reputation demolition derby.