SVOSUG - Sept 27 meeting - Menlo Park 17 7:30pm-10:00pm

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Thu Sep 22 16:07:32 PDT 2005

I'm just forwarding this on from Alan DuBoff.  Please contact him directly
if you have questions.

This month's Silicon Valley Open Solaris User Group will be held at the
Sun
Menlo Park campus. All non-Sun employees should send an RSVP to be
registered
in the system so they can badge in at the MPK17 lobby.

Those of you who showed up at the July meeting will remember that this was
more difficult that it could have been had more people RSVP'd ahead of
time.
However, fear not, we will get you badged and allow you access to the
meeting, at whatever length we need to go.

This month's meeting will features some topics that rate fairly high on
the
coolness scale, or at least I hope so.

We will kick the meeting off with Bart Smaalders and Phil Harman giving a
short presentation on libmicro, a library which Bart originally developed
look at performance on Solaris. Both Bart and Phil will explain how they
use
libmicro to improve the performance, and since libmicro is released as a
part
of Open Solaris, all folks can get access and use it.

The main presentation of the evening will on Power Management and the
Solaris
ACPI subsystem. The speakers for the main presentation will be Dana Meyers
and Randy Fishel. Dana has worked on both the new boot architecture team,
and
now works on the Power Management team. He has done some work at Sun and I
consider Dana to be another one of Sun's exceptional engineers. He focuses
on
ACPI issues for the Power Management team. Randy will be showing an AMD64
laptop performing suspend and resume, a major task for Solaris x86 which
few
folks would have ever thought possible.

As always we will be taking questions and providing the best possible
answer
to them which we can. All of you folks who have come to our user group
meetings have seen the level of engineers that we have support our
community,
and this meeting will be no exception.

Open Solaris Community Members (non-Sun employees): As noted above, this
meeting will be held at the Sun Menlo Park campus, in building 17. The Sun
Menlo Park campus is located at the west end of the Dunbarton Bridge. To
get there, take the Willow Rd. exit to the Dumbarton Bridge, heading east
from the freeway. Willow Rd. run directly into the Sun Campus. As you
enter the Sun Campus, bear to the right, and follow the road around to
building 17.

Please try to get there early so you can badge in, and please
RSVP to Alan.DuBoff (AT) Sun.Com with your first and last name, as well as
your email address. I will enter you in the system so you can badge in at
he Kiosk in the lobby of MPK17. Sun employees will not need to RSVP but
will need to badge in if you do not have a Sun badge.

Where: Sun Campus - MPK17 Van Ness conference room
  When: Tues., Sept. 27th, 2005
  Time: 7:30pm - 10:00pm (arrive early to badge in, 7:00pm if possible)
Extra: Please RSVP if you are not a Sun employee (Alan.DuBoff (AT)
Sun.Com)

Hope to see you there!

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems