Exchange replacements

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Tue Sep 20 11:40:28 PDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Patti Ames wrote:

> I'm looking at enterprise-grade email/calendar servers that work well
> with Outlook. I tried Scalix - if everything else is like that, I'm
> going to find myself running Exchange pretty soon. :\
>
> What have you all used to satisfy management's need to calendar and
> reserve conference rooms inside of Outlook? Since my userbase are
> already pretty solidly occupying PSTs, easy migration is key. (Scalix
> crashed Outlook or popped up virus warnings on attempts to merge old
> contacts and calendar with the Scalix one.)
>
> The other half of my users use Thunderbird, so it would be great if
> they could, in some way, also schedule and find out about meetings and
> conference room availability.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but Samsung Contact
appears to be getting good press:

http://www.samsungcontact.com/en/

I have not used it, but it looks like it's doing the right things
from the documentation.  Supposedly it's more MAPI compliant than
Exchange.

Good luck with the search--
=Nadine=