Location..

Ray Wong rayw at rayw.net
Thu Oct 13 08:42:37 PDT 2005

Yep, you're both correct.  I've laregely fallen out of attendance simply
because it's become too far to go.  I've made exactly one meeting his year.
Mostly I made it because I had to head down to our Colo, which was in
San Jose, so was already nearby.

While the population center is likely still in the south bay, it's also
about the worst area to get into at the end of the day.  I recently tried
in the course of organizing some south bay sushi mixers, and the flocks
of commuters migrating south to their nests create no end of delays.

About the worst drive north from the south, I'd say, is the 680 return to
the Livermore side of things.  Coming south on 680 wasn't great either.

>From my own experience having to/from Oakland, WC, Livermore, SJ, SF,
Redwood City in the past year or two, I'd say that the drive is worst
to the bedroom areas (SJ, Livermore, WC/Concord/Pitts), and best to
the center (SF, Oakland, down the peninsula as far as... MV).  I'm
leaving out a lot of the north bay since I've only driven in and out of
Mill Valley so far, which isn't really typical.

The only reason Oakland might suck would be 880N between 280 and 237,
so many of our Colleagues from east Santa Clara and west San Jose
would still be stuck.

Oddly, when I was working in the south bay, it turns out that it's really
not all that bad to drive up into SF.  I think there's a big psychological
barrier, but if I could stay on the 280 corridor, it never got worse than
slow (as opposed to parking lot on the southbound side), even near SBC
Park on gamedays (and for now, at least, the season's over so no prob
there).  Fortunately for me I was coming out along 85, but even when I had
to start near Brokaw/101, it wasn't so bad.

Ray